Friday, June 15, 2012

My Cross Dressing (?) Daughter

Spiderman Silver Silhouette Juvenile T-Shirt

Buddy got a bunch of hand-me-downs the other day and Miss M. was very excited to claim the Spiderman shirt.  She was exuberant in it.  But when I picked her up from preschool she was a little subdued.  

"Did everyone love your Spiderman shirt," I asked?  
"Everyone said I looked like a boy".  What? I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  She is in a class with 3 and 4 year olds.  How is this happening already?

"Well, that is the silliest thing I've ever heard.  You know that Spiderman is for everyone not just boys, right?"  

"Yeah, I do," she said and skipped off to the car.  Clearly, she was not as upset as I was.  But I couldn't just let it go.  

"Who said you look like a boy?" 
"Oh, A. and S. (two 3 year old girls).  The boys liked the shirt though".  
"well, I like the shirt too.  It is awesome!"

I let it go at this point.  At least I stopped talking to her about it.  But, it still makes me mad.  How can 3 year old girls already have such firm gender lines in their head?  It is so depressing.  And Miss M. hasn't worn the shirt to school since.  She does wear it around the house.  

I am curious if it was the cut of the shirt that made it a "boy shirt" or the superhero.  If I was richer I would buy her a shirt like this so we could do an experiment.  What do you think was it the boxy T-shirt that made Miss M. look like a boy or the spiderman?  

Spiderman Crawl Baby Tee



5 comments:

RORYJEAN said...

I bet if it was pink with Spiderman they wouldn't have said anything. I think the cut and color would change their reactions. It is depressing :( Apollo put a tutu on the other day and Angela told him he couldn't wear it because it was for girls. I corrected her that he could wear whatever he wanted, but it did make me sad.

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

boooooooooooo!!!! I'm not surprised though, sadly.

Cali said...

I don't even know what to comment. I am upset about it, too. LAME.

Anonymous said...

Scotty refused to wear a pink bike helmet when it was all there was to borrow at my neighbor's. Gah.

Anonymous said...

I should add that this was with older boys and no girls around, if that matters. But I mean, he chose to NOT skateboard due to the pink helmet.