Tuesday, November 29, 2011

In which my head explodes . . .

I know Halloween was a month ago but I've got to get this off my chest.  Why, oh why are Halloween Costumes so sexist?  I was so angry as walked up and down the clearance costume aisles of Target that I was literally sick to my stomach and shaking.  What sort of message is Target trying to send to little girls?  Now I am not so extreme that I won't admit that some costumes are (for the most part) gender specific.  I get that little girls want to be Princesses and that little boys probably don't.  I don't fault costume companies for that.  What I do take issue with is the designs of costumes that should be much more gender neutral.

Take "Cowboy" for example.  The boy costume is cute and functional, but what in the heck is up with the fringed mini-skirt?  I'm sure that'll be great for riding horses.  And it is not just the costumes.  The boy costume is called, "Boy Cowboy Costume"  but the girl gets to be a "Cowgirl Diva".  Just what I want for my 4 year old.  

And then there were the pirate costumes.  Both my daughter and son love pirates.  Once again, the boy costume was very cute.  Lil' Buddy could be a "Pirate King" but Miss M . . . she could be a "Pirate Cutie" at best and a Pirate . . . Hooker(?) at worst.  




These costumes make my head explode.  And the examples were endless.  Little girls should not be sexy.   Please don't force my little girl to pick between a Cutie and a Diva.  She is so much more than that.  And my son needs to know that girls are more than that.  Granted, it is my job to teach them but Target (and every other retailer of Halloween costumes) is making my job that much harder.

Of course, the only reason they carry costumes like that is because people buy them.  So fellow citizens of the world: Do Not Support This.  Girls are so much more than Divas, Cuties and Princesses.   

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Yes, girls are so much more than that, and I appreciated your comment that your son needs to know that.
I agree with your perspective and your rant.

Cali said...

Amen!

Paul Hepworth said...

So true! Since this was the after-Halloween clearance, did you notice there were more leftovers of the diva/hooker costumes than of the cowboy/pirate? If so, maybe the buying public is voting against this nonsense by not buying. (Wishful thinking, probably)

princess jen said...

Agree! My mom usually makes my kids' costumes (fortunately) so I can avoid the costume aisle. But don't get me started on some of my choices for Anya's clothes once she "graduated" out of 5T and into the girls' section!! I have pictures of her size 7 shorts that are shorter than her brother's 3T shorts!