Tuesday, November 8, 2011

You're Here.

Two weeks ago, I started taking a 5:45AM spin class. I love the productive feeling of getting a workout in before my kids wake up.  Unfortunately, the hour nap I end up taking later in the day undermines the overall productive value but it is probably still good for my health.

Now, when you show up at spin class that early, the temptation is (at least for me) to take it a little easy.  After all, just showing up is impressive and any exercise is better than nothing.  All that is true and yet at the second class the instructor yelled encouragement that changed my perspective.  

"You're here. Might as well make it worth it."  

I realized she was right.  Why make all the effort to pull my tired self out of bed, make my husband go later to work (yes he usually leaves the house around 6am) and then coast once I was there?  I have written before about my tendency to cut myself too much slack and this was another prime example.  But what really struck me is that I was already there.  I was going to spend 45 minutes at spin class whether or not I pushed myself.  so why not make it worth it?  Why not indeed.

This is my new motto.  When I took my kids to the park, I sat down on the bench, glad for any break from their constant whining and clinging.  but then I thought, you're here.  Might as well make it worth it.  So I got up and started playing tag with my kids.  We had the best time at the park yet. The kids still talk about playing "trap-out" with mom.  

At church, I was zoning out during the primary songs (I'm in primary now) and then . . . you're here.  Might as well make it worth it.  So I started singing and participating.  The lesson (of course) made me mad but I was engaged in what was going on around me and it was a better Sunday than usual.  

Anyway the motto helped me, I thought it might help you.


You're here.  Might as well make it worth it.  

me, just after my first triathlon post having kids.  





3 comments:

RORYJEAN said...

I'm stealing your motto. I'm with you- I often cut myself too much slack, which doesn't bode well for kicking butt at things.

*Meg Larsen* said...

that is a fabulous sentiment. I definitely have days where I coast through and do what I have to without really engaging.

Out of curiosity, what about the primary lesson made you mad?

Melanie said...

GREAT motto! I too, cut myself a lot of slack...