Sunday, February 27, 2011

Shogun by James Clavell


To be honest, I dragged my feet about reading this book for a long time.  After living in China, it felt disloyal to show interest in Japan.  I know it sounds weird to say that, but what can I say?  It turns out that  Communist propaganda works.  For the first few months after returning from China, I felt defensive of Mao, like Taiwan should still be part of the Mainland,  and a little ( I am not proud of this) distaste for Japan.   Thankfully I soon came to my senses.  And when I finaly got around to reading Shogun . . . wow.  I loved it.  Well, more accurately I loved the first 1000 pages (it kind of drags a little bit at the end) but it is definitely worth reading.  It gives such great insight into the Japanese culture.  Well, to be honest, I really have no idea how accurate Clavell's portrayal is but it seems like it gives great insight into the Japanese culture.   

Shogun tells the tale of Pilot-Major John Blackthorne, who along with his surviving crew, shipwrecks on the coast of Japan during the 1600s.  The 1200 page novel is the story of his attempt to assimilate into the Japanese culture while trying to fix his ship, attain riches, and head back home to England.  Obviously, the story is much more complex than this and truthfully I could tell you nearly everything about the plot, and it wouldn't spoil the book for you.  The magic of Shogun is found in the details.  It's been weeks since I finished the book, and I still catch myself pondering scenes.  Shogun also has helped me be a better person.  You may laugh, but it's true. 

For example, Clavell's description of karma and zen has helped me develop a coping strategy for my anxiety.  Whenever I feel myself starting to worry, I just tell myself that if what I am worrying about comes to pass, that is my karma and there is no sense in worrying.  I'm sure that sentence didn't seem that helpful to you but if you immerse yourself in Shogun, it will.

Along those same lines, Toranaga (one of the main Japanese leaders) tells his son that "patience is very important. The strong are the patient ones. Patience means holding back your inclination to the seven emotions: Hate, adoration, joy, anxiety, anger, grief, fear. If you don't give way to the seven, you're patient, then you'll soon understand all manner of things and be in harmony with Eternity".  I had never considered anxiety (can you tell that anxiety is at the forefront of my mind right now?) as a lack of patience.  But it's true.  Most of my anxiety stems from worrying about unknowns, or what ifs--in other words, things that are yet to be.  Patience would mean waiting until an event exists before reacting to it.  What a gift that would be. 

Anyway, I  know 1200 pages seems daunting but I think it's worth reading.  Heck, I've even read it twice.  and you know what?  In another 5 years, I'll probably read it again.  Although, as my DH is always quick to point out, that isn't necessarily an endorsement.  In a pinch, I'll reread books I hated.  But in this particular case, I'd be rereading it because I loved it.

2 comments:

RORYJEAN said...

I'm adding it to my list of things I will read someday hopefully soon... I still think a lot about "The Wild Swans" which we read in book club- it would be interesting to read something on Japan now.

Kaitie Jayne said...

I just barely finished rereading this book, and I too, was very interested in the zen (especially the watching a rock grow) and the definition of patience. I have thought of both many times since finishing it.