Friday, February 10, 2012

Monkey School: Valentines Day

I haven't been posting Monkey School lately.  So I will try and do better.  Today's lesson was all about valentine's day.

We started by reading Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch by Eileen Spinelli.  It is a wonderful book about the power of feeling loved by those around you.  I then had the kids find hearts (I had taped them around the room) to give to a group of sad stuffed animals.

Next, we played in our valentine's day themed sensory bin.  Thanks to the dollar spot at Target, we had heart shaped measuring cups.  The kids loved them and my homemade funnels (if I do say so myself).


Lastly, we did two art projects.  First we made those hearts where you put drops of paint on one side and then fold it over and "massage the paper" (that's how Miss M describes it) until a beautiful, symmetrical design is formed.  I used finger paints for this because I thought they would spread more easily than poster paint.  I think they turned out beautiful.

Then we used homemade stamps to decorate our Valentine's treat bags.  We will use the bags at our party next week.  and yes, the hearts are made out of toilet paper rolls.


1 comment:

josh said...

Awesome! Thanks for the ideas. Piper loves playing with shaving cream (from your previous post). (cali)/