Sunday, October 2, 2011

Facebook Withdrawals. *updated

I deleted my facebook account a little over an hour ago.  And already, I am mentally writing status updates about how hard it is to not post status updates.  So I am cheating and posting them here.


Wish me luck.

...........................................................

There has been some interest in my reasoning for quitting facebook.  So here goes.

Pros:
  • feel more connected with my extended family, ward members, and some friends that I wouldn't be in contact with otherwise (my immediate family and close friends keep in touch anyway)
  • my extended family, ward members, some friends etc. have more access to what is going on with me.
Cons: 
  • (and this is really my main reason) lately I have had a hard time posting things on facebook because it feels a little narcissistic to me.  I say that without intending any criticism of other people.  I truly love reading updates about my friends and family and I never feel that they are being narcissistic but for my own self, I just haven't wanted to post as much because it feels weird to announce to all the random people I am "friends" what I had for dinner.  
  • Facebook is a time sink.  I waste so much time on facebook.  And I simply do not have the willpower to only check it occasionally.  I am an all or nothing girl.  
So after much internal debate, I decided to delete my account.  Although, for better or worse, facebook allows you 14 days to change your mind.  So I'll reevaluate in a week to make sure.  I am sad that my extended family won't know what is going on with me (most are unwilling to sign into my private blog) and I know I'll miss updates from my friends but my close friends will fill me in no matter what (or at least they'd better).

8 comments:

RORYJEAN said...

What made you decide to delete your account, just out of curiosity?

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

whaaaaaaaat?!?!? how will we ever communicate?!?!

*Meg Larsen* said...

so which category do I fit? :o)

I understand the time drain of facebook, and I read your blog, but if you're going to cut out fb and still think you're keeping the rest of us reasonably informed you'll have to post more than once a month! :o) And yes, we do find your life that interesting.

RORYJEAN said...

I agree, facebook has it's pros and cons, but I feel like I deserve to be slightly narcissistic when it comes to something since most of my day is devoted to caring for the kids. I bet I'd be a more attentive parent without it, though. I'd probably not keep in touch with anyone without it since I'm not a phone person.

Taylor said...

Thanks Meg! and I am going to try and post more.

Taylor said...

Rory, I love your updates and will miss them.

Melanie said...

Yeah, and I can't "like" comments here.
Megan, I enjoyed your comment ;-D

josh said...

I wish I had more willpower not to check FB constantly. (cali)